portiademoncur

What Portia's Reading

I Read, I write...I review.

Dark Thirst
Barging in
Josephine Myles
Bollywood Dreams
Scarlet Blackwell
Foundation of Love - Scotty Cade, Z.B. Marshall It probably seems like I sneak my little pet peeves into my reviews…*smile* cuz, I do. One of my pet peeves are interracial romances, gay or straight, that show little or no respect for the cultural differences of the characters or resort to using cultural clichés. Newsflash: Not all black folk are on welfare and not all white folk are bigots. Neither do I believed that the average person chooses a lover only based on their race.

Foundation of Love doesn’t fall into either of those literary traps and I loved it. For the most part, race is not even an issue, and in this day and age, I find that much more believable than the alternative.

Rant over…back to the review. Wes spends most of this book torn. He wants to honor his late mother’s legacy, but really doesn’t want to deal with the issues he has with his father. (A man who, by the way, I think Cade crafted very well. He’s not all bad, but he’s stuck in the time warp. Allowing the norms of his own history to interfere with the relationship he desperately wants to foster with his adult son.) I loved how Wes looked on his friends, mentor and lover for guidance and support. Any yes, a few of the guys for the other Love series books to make guest appearances in Foundation of Love. The affection and respect among the men is evident on every levels

The romance between Wes and Ty is very sweet. Neither man was looking for anything long-term, but neither are they running from the possibilities. I felt like I was watching a romance unfold between grown-ass men. And by that I mean, they were past the age where they felt the need to play head games. They brought a level of maturity that is refreshing to see in a genre that too often churns out angst filled stories that seem contrived in their plot structure. Secondary rant: Every character does not have to be emotionally crippled. Some people actually like the idea of being in a stable monogamous relationship. End of secondary rant.

I would recommend Foundation of Love to anyone who is interested in an interracial romance that doesn’t dwell on race; main characters that actually communicate, rather than rely on guess-work and a happy ever after that involves letting go and moving on. Highly recommended.