portiademoncur

What Portia's Reading

I Read, I write...I review.

Dark Thirst
Barging in
Josephine Myles
Bollywood Dreams
Scarlet Blackwell
Buttercream - Roslyn Hardy Holcomb I loved this book. It was so refreshing to find an interracial book that didn’t mention race. Not to say that race isn’t important…but, come on…is it really the only obstacle a couple can face?

Okay, off my soapbox. Poppy and Matthew are very different people. She was raised by hippies and her family portrait looks like a Benetton ad. Matthew is a professional soldier. Despite their difference, they are burning up the sheets on their first date. Now for those of you who aren’t black women, you might not understand what a no-no that is. There is an unwritten rule that plainly states that men you sleep with after a first date are shelved in the booty-call box. Matthew obviously didn’t get that memo. As far as he is concerned, it was just a fabulous beginning. Unfortunately…Poppy didn’t get that memo.

Lots of issues may have been avoided if they had talked about their relationship, but they were too busy knocking’ boots at every opportunity.

In addition to some very well written, steamy sex scenes, I loved Matthew. He is so beautifully flawed. I know it’s expected to have an Alpha man starring in any romance novel, but Matthew is more like a real guy who reacts like a real guy. Whether he is trying to sweet talk Poppy out of her panties, reliving his time in Afghanistan, or licking his wounded pride, he was beautifully written.

The only reason I didn’t give this 5 kisses was Poppy. I’m not sure what I was waiting for with her…but I know I didn’t get it.

This was a much more sensuous read than anything else I’ve read by Roslyn Hardy Holcomb. I was very pleased to discover she could up the heat without losing any of the sweetness that I expect when I pick up one of her books. I highly recommend this book.