portiademoncur

What Portia's Reading

I Read, I write...I review.

Dark Thirst
Barging in
Josephine Myles
Bollywood Dreams
Scarlet Blackwell
Stolen Summer - S.A. Meade This review first appeared on MM Good Book Reviews http://www.mmgoodbookreviews.wordpress.com

I hated this book. Hated it so much, I couldn’t put it down for two days. I guess I was expecting a cutesy little story about a bi-curious guy’s first time. And I did get that. But, I also got a very poignant story of a young man’s journey through a harrowing experience and his subsequent recovery.

I spent more than half the book waiting for someone to die. There was just a dark foreshadowing that kept me waiting for the next shoe to drop. What happens, instead, is worse in a lot of ways. Wonder if Colin and Evan would ever get their Happily Ever After kept me turning pages. Wondering how Colin would respond to Evan’s choices kept me up way past my bedtime. Stolen Summer is an amazing book. It’s not your average war story, as neither Colin nor Evan is a soldier. But it does give the reader a glimpse into war-torn areas. Not just the atrocities of war, but the humanity of regular folks caught up in a hell that they didn’t create.

The loving is hot and sweaty. The British dialogue is a hoot and the story is very well told. I highly recommend this book and look forward to S. A. Meade’s next work.