portiademoncur

What Portia's Reading

I Read, I write...I review.

Dark Thirst
Barging in
Josephine Myles
Bollywood Dreams
Scarlet Blackwell
When Souls Collide - N.J. Nielsen Riley is having a very bad day. His wife’s body hasn’t even been laid to rest and her family has already decided that a gay son-in-law and a Eurasian grandson are not welcome in their home. Without a backwards glance, Riley and his son, Kai, are dumped on the side of the road…in the rain to fend for themselves. Thousands of miles away from Riley’s native Australia, with fifty-seven dollars and some change and the clothes on their backs.

I really enjoyed When Souls Collide. If you haven’t read any of N. J. Nielsen’s other titles, this might be a nice place to start. She is obviously a firm believer in HEAs. Riley is a real sweetie. When his online friend finds herself pregnant, with a conservative family screaming that she have an abortion, he doesn’t hesitate to offer her marriage. Unfortunately, there is no disguising Kai’s Asian heritage. Even before Karen’s death, Riley’s life has been a living hell. Winding up butt-naked in a barn is just par for the course.

Noah’s family is too cute, assuming that his gay guest is the answer to his pitiful love life. Noah isn’t willing to believe that the hottie that he found is going to be interested in a relationship. And even if he does, Riley is going home as soon as he can raise the funds…isn’t he?

I really enjoyed this Father’s Day read. My only complaint is that Riley and Noah’s romance evolved really quickly. Not the intimacy…I could have got on board for that, but the I love you forevers. Not quite instalove…but pretty close. Mind you, there are all kinds of crazy people in the town, trying to keep them apart…but, I still think Riley should have made Noah work a little harder. ;-)

But, because Nielsen created such a great supporting cast, I choose to overlook that. There are several cowboys that would make very nice leading men, if N. J. ever decides to revisit this corner of Texas.

I’m recommending When Souls Collide for readers who like lonely cowboys, sexy Aussies and sweet baby boys.