portiademoncur

What Portia's Reading

I Read, I write...I review.

Dark Thirst
Barging in
Josephine Myles
Bollywood Dreams
Scarlet Blackwell
Shattered Secrets - R.J. Scott, Diane  Adams This review first appeared on MM Good Book Reviews.

Pixie’s Reader’s Review: I really enjoyed this one, it was a refreshing change to read a shifter book that wasn’t all about sex and mates; although there is a lot hot sex and some discussion about mating.

Rob is horrified when he finds out that Jamie is a Wolf. He has nothing against them personally but he wouldn’t have sex with one…if he had a choice. Jamie doesn’t usually sleep with humans but there is just something about Rob. When Rob kicks him to the curb, Jamie realizes what has happened too late.

I thought the way that Rob handled everything was masterful, Jamie was headstrong and willful the supporting characters were incredible, too. They really added to the story. The story line is fantastic and written really well. Hopefully, this is opening up a new avenue in shifter stories where we have more realistic story lines and a different aspect to the ‘mating’ rules.

If you love shifter stories, hot men and crime stories then this is for you. Diane Adams & R.J. Scott, I can’t wait for the next one.

Portia’s Writer’s Review: For those of you thinking about writing a paranormal series, Shattered Secrets would be an excellent case study. Scott and Adams took a lot of time world building, without distracting the reader away from the main plot. The characters are wonderfully developed. I especially like the evolution of Rob. The attraction between Rob and Jamie is instant, but the love match takes a lot longer to develop.

Since this is obviously part of a series, there are some nice tidbits that will make you want to read the next story. The problem, if not the actual bad guys, is identified and the book ends on a deliciously suspenseful note. But, I didn’t have that unsatisfied feeling of incompletion that is too often present in series novellas. If I never read another book in this series, I felt that Scott/Adams wrote a complete story.

RJ Scott and Diane Adams are both phenomenal writers individually. Together they have created a series that is smart and sexy. May the literary gods bless this union for a very long time.